Top 10 Reasons to Drink Coffee in 2013
- Wake up! If you’re not a morning person, coffee helps wake you up and become more alert for the morning commute, early meetings, and responding to questions from your boss, customers, or coworkers.
- Get an Edge: Even if you are a “morning person”, coffee can still give you an extra edge in dealing with the challenges of the day.
- When you’re chilled to the bone: Coffee warms you up on a cold day.
- Fresh Perspective: A cup of coffee gives you a good excuse to take a break, socialize with friends and coworkers, and step away from your work for a few minutes. Breaks can help you approach tasks with renewed vigor and creativity. When the brain starts getting stale, a coffee break can be the perfect way to recharge your battery.
- Health Benefits of Coffee: Recent research has attributed coffee with having protective properties that may reduce the risk of developing certain diseases, such as Parkinson’s Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, liver cancer, prostate cancer, basal cell carcinoma, and Alzheimer’s disease. So does coffee have some sort of magical properties that make it a veritable panacea for the ills of mankind? No–but if it does help tip the scales in the right direction for being healthier, then it’s a good thing.
- Coffee tastes great–especially if you start with freshly roasted coffee beans, filtered water, a clean coffee pot, a good coffee grinder, and the right coffee-to-water ratio.
- Social Benefits: Coffee provides a great “excuse” to get together with a friend and catch up on old times at the neighborhood cafe. Getting a cup of coffee is also an age-old formula for renewing a friendship, cultivating business connections, or starting a relationship.
- More Energy and Endurance: Coffee is said to improve your performance in running, exercising, and athletics.
- Hanging out in cafes and coffee shops can be an interesting experience in and of itself. The furniture is often comfortable, the music is typically conducive to reading a book, writing, or catching up on your e-mails, and you might even stumble upon some really great-tasting coffee for sale!
- It’s Habit forming–but in a good way! Drinking coffee is a comforting ritual in an otherwise stressful world.
By the way, if you’re a coffee lover looking for the best coffee in the world–or at least something that approximates it–check out The Daily Grind‘s new and improved online coffee store. They’ve been importing and roasting coffee beans on the premises of their Albany, NY, cafe since 1976, so they have a lot of expertise. They’re a family-owned-and-operated business that takes pride in what they do–and they offer a solid money-back guarantee if you’re not completely satisfied. I give them high grades for their new website design too. Update: Their new coffee blog, which was added in June 2013, is also a good place to get useful information and a unique perspective on the coffee drinking experience.